A rather random collection of posts/links to peruse at your leisure this weekend…
- If you are struggling with how to respond to the death of Osama Bin Laden (or, even if you aren’t), this post by one of my college professors, Dr. Will Varner will be of immense help in sorting though the issue from a biblical perspective: “Let no one accuse me of fiendishly delighting over Bin Laden’s suffering in the fires of Hell. My comments have addressed his judgment in this life, not in the next one. His eternal judgment I will leave in the hands of the God of all the earth, who will certainly do the right and just thing!”
- With Mother’s Day coming up, this article by Dr. Russell Moore is a practical, empathetic, encouraging, and much-needed reminder “that many infertile women find this day almost unbearable. This is not because these women are (necessarily) bitter or covetous or envious. The day is simply a reminder of unfulfilled longings, longings that are good.” Let us, as a church, remember that “the Proverbs 31 woman needs our attention, but the 1 Samuel 1 woman does too.”
- Diligently Lead Your Children to God – a quote from J.C. Ryle’s Expository Thoughts on the Gospels: Mark. If you are not already following this great site – you should be! You will be both encouraged and convicted on a regular basis…a great, though sometimes uncomfortable, combination for sanctification.
If you’ve read this site for any length of time, you probably know that I like books. (And, you will also know that that last sentence is a vast understatement.) And, when I can get good deals on good books…so much the better!
- Feminine Threads: Women in the Tapestry of Christian History, by Diana Severance is on sale at the Westminster Bookstore for half off!! But, only through May 10th…so, go order now. (Diana, and her husband, are a part of our church family. I am enjoying getting to know Diana, and I am very much looking forward to reading her book!!)
- Uneclipsing the Son, by Rick Holland is available to pre-order from Kress Biblical Resources…also for half off the regular price! (This book will be officially released in June of this year.)
- And, while you’re there…go “like” Kress Biblical Resources on Facebook…They are giving away one copy of the book One With A Shepherd, by Mary Somerville. (To enter, tweet or leave a comment on their Facebook page in appreciation of your mom or pastor’s wife.)